How to make a base stick figure the easy way.

Learn about how to get the most out of Stykz here
Forum rules
View them here. Make sure you read and agree to abide by the rules before posting.

How to make a base stick figure the easy way.

Postby Nate on Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:35 pm

If you forgot to read the "Notes for Pivot users" section in the help menu of the latest Stykz beta, you may not be informed that you can simply right click to make a line. This tutorial will help both total noobs and Pivot users. :D Watch the screenshots.

To make your first line, hold and drag the right mouse button. (ctrl-click on a one-button mac mouse. if using a mac laptop, two fingers on the trackpad and click work, too. I use a mac laptop with a mouse.) This will be the lower back. EDIT: In Beta 5 and above, you can also use the line tool or circle tool to click in the stage and make a Styk without using the select tool. It gives you instructions by default. Oh well. Moving on!

Now alt-click (option-click on a mac) in the middle of the line to give it an upper back. Make sure you don't alt-click on the upper node, or you'll delete it.

Now let's give it a head. simply click on the circle tool and click on the node on top of the line you made.

Now let's fill the head. Click on the subselect tool and click on the head, and make sure the properties palette is open. Then check "Opaque" and click on the color. Choosing black or whatever color matches your stick is the best idea, but if you want an open head, just select white.

Now that your head is filled, let's add some limbs. right-click and drag on the upper back's top node, then do the same for the arm's end. Always make the arms' second line a little shorter that the arm's first line.

It's a similar procedure for the legs: right click and drag on the drag node to make a line, then add the other line. You can add smaller horizontal lines for feet.

Your stick is now complete, so you can pose it and do whatever you want to it until you're satisfied. Increasing the width is usually a good idea. Then press ctrl-l (command-l on a mac) to add your new stick to the library for use in your awesome animations.Image

Have fun! :)
Last edited by Nate on Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lol:
Nate
Stykz Trooper

Re: How to make a stick the easy way.

Postby Hoboapple on Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:08 am

Nice tutorial! My only suggestion would be to maybe make the images a little smaller, because there's a lot of white space, but that doesn't really matter. :D
stykzman wrote:
Murder, she wrote:A television series in the 80's.

Bow, bow, bow your wrote:...stently gown the dream...

I'm not sure what I just wrote:... does it make sense to you?

Stephen King wrote:Buy my books! *:x*

*8-)*

Hoboapple
* Funniest Person 2010 *

Postby DarkFlame on Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:49 am

Hmm...
I like most of it, but Cnhagenow has already made one of these...
DarkFlame
* Most Helpful Person 2010 *

Postby Hoboapple on Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:14 am

DarkFlame wrote:Hmm...
I like most of it, but Cnhagenow has already made one of these...

Yeah, I noticed that, too, but it's not really on how to make a styk figure, it's kind of the basics of Stykz. Also, it's not completely complete yet. :stykz:
stykzman wrote:
Murder, she wrote:A television series in the 80's.

Bow, bow, bow your wrote:...stently gown the dream...

I'm not sure what I just wrote:... does it make sense to you?

Stephen King wrote:Buy my books! *:x*

*8-)*

Hoboapple
* Funniest Person 2010 *

Postby Nate on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:20 am

Well yeah, it is only supposed stick making. ^^; or at least this tut. Anyways, this is about a stick made like a human, not just general stick making.

Lol:
Nate
Stykz Trooper

Return to Tutorials and Help Docs